Saturday, November 28, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Wanderings


I once was given some handwritten letters from a long-distance flame.


Honestly, the BEST gift ever given to me.



He swore he was a shy writer; that he had never EVER shared his writings with anyone, and that the pieces-of-his-soul-on-paper he was giving me were written for my eyes only.



Being such a literature enthusiast, and the complex hieroglyph of a man he is, I believed him.



Everyday I'd carefully take those scented artisan paper sheets out of their wax-sealed envelopes and read the beautifully-crafted poetry and prose dedicated to my person.



The letters were alive, and would connect my soul to his at a mere glance.



They made me feel things I had never felt before - they touched my soul!



However, as all good things come to an end, so did my brief liaison with the author of the masterpieces.



In the midst of the break-up, without showing any regard to my feelings, he asked me one thing, and one thing only.



He didn't ask me for another chance.



He didn't beg for my forgiveness.



He didn't plead me to love him forever.



He simply asked me not to burn or throw away HIS words.



I was sooooooooo profoundly outraged I couldn't even reply.



I shivered revoltedly!



How dared he call those words HIS???



Had he NOT given them to ME???



Didn't that make them MINE???



I'm not one to avenge things and I do not believe in revenge, but, to this day, that little tempting spark of sinfulness in me keeps telling me to.



I have thought of digging a hole on the ground, throwing the letters in and burning them, camera on hand...



I have thought of sending them back...



I have thought of tearing halves of them, shredding them to pieces and posting them...



I could go on, and on, and on... but I would probably scare away people, so I won't.



The thing is, this afternoon, as I was doing the dishes, I had a thought...



I tried to brush it away but I must confess it's brilliant!



Would it be illegal to show the world those words???



After all, they are MINE to show, are they not?



I have all the proof that they were entitled to me...



There's no copyright and I wouldn't hide his identity either...



I just want everyone to know how good a writer he is...



I think that I should show his words to the four winds...



Marvellous, I'm thinking.


BTW, I'm new at this, so advice is much welcome!









1 comment:

  1. I have decided, after much consideration, to throw them in the trash can! Have I regretted it? YES! Better that way though... Far from the eyes, far from the heart. I am thankful however, for the life achievement having been someone's muse for a change!

    ReplyDelete